How to create a Google+ Page for your Blog
Today, the much awaited Google+ pages were opened up to the general public. It obviously created a lot of buzz on popular tech blogs and forums. As bloggers we can put up a happy face as most of us want as many opportunities as possible to promote our blogs. Google+ pages could be another medium, but it’s still early hours.
This post is specially for bloggers who are not familiar with technicalities of opening a page properly on a social network. I felt it was necessary to write a tutorial on this as there is a lot of confusion in the minds of bloggers and website owners as to which category to choose when creating a page. If you remember when Facebook introduced their pages, it didn’t offer as much categories as it should have offered.
So it was difficult to categorize our pages until they released another update to fix that issue. Now, we have a lot of options to choose from. Coming back to Google+, it’s a good sign that Google has learnt from Facebook’s mistake and released a full-fledged pages feature. As a designer I liked the UI of the pages creation center. The entire process works pretty smoothly and it just takes a few minutes to create your blog’s Google+ page.
Below is the step by step tutorial to create a G+ page. Here I’am including only the image of the first step as that’s the one which contains the Page name, URL and the category selection. Basically, the important options are present in the first step.
Create your Blog’s Google+ Page
- First of all navigate to Create a Google+ Page using this link.
- From the Pick a Category section, click on the Product or Brand button.
- In the Add your info section enter your Page Name i.e. basically your Blog’s name or title. Then comes the Website i.e. the URL of your blog. After that comes the all important dropdown where you need to directly scroll down and select the Website option.
- By default the Page will be made public and any Google+ user will be allowed to follow or join the page. Now, check the ‘I Agree to the Pages term…’ option and hit the Create button.
- So now your page is officially created. In Step 2 you’ll be asked to enter few Tags i.e. basically the Description of your page. Attempt to make the description appealing so that many G+ users like it from the outset.
- Unlike Facebook, Google+ asks you to upload the logo of your page right in Step 2. Make sure that you upload a nice big logo of your blog as Google+ zooms it after we crop the section of the logo. So if you blog’s logo is small (like mine unfortunately is) then your page’s image will look a bit pix-elated.
- That’s it. Share you page on your Google+ stream (i.e. as a user and not in the page mode). The only way to attract or invite fans to your newly created Google+ page is to invite them manually. Sadly, they don’t seem to have a Facebook-like ‘Select All Friends‘ option.
I hope after this tutorial your blog’s Google+ page creation was much easier. Do follow DailyBlogging’s Google+ Page. Don’t tell me that the image of our page itself is pix-elated as I’m working on a new bigger logo. It will take some time as I don’t want to remake it another time.
Do you think Google+ Pages will be more effective as compared to Facebook OR Do we need to give the new baby some time ?